Tuesday, February 11, 2014

My first spa experience - Rollersage: Rolling my blues away

“All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”. Roger that! A hectic schedule over the past few months had sapped me of my energy and enthusiasm. As I started bordering on irritability and snappiness, a boost came from an unexpected source–a friend going gaga over Rollerssage (roller plus massage). Eager to spill the beans, he told me that rollerssage is a signature therapy of Heavenly Spa at Westin Hotels and can be experienced at any of their hotels at Pune, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Gurgaon. Here heated pure crystalline semi-precious stones, selected for their energy enhancing qualities, are rolled over the body, melting away tension and relaxing tight muscles, while restoring balance to one’s energy source. I confess that the very idea of semi precious stones being rolled over my body seemed appealing, luxurious and appeased my vanity. Cut to the next weekend, with a spring in my step and high on expectations, I found myself seated at the reception of the spa. Welcomed by my therapist, Mary, as I sipped herbal tea, she explained how my mind, body and soul were going to be pampered for the next hour. After the customary burden basket (where the therapist and I dumped our burdens outside), a chime and a 3 stone ritual where I could choose from love, gratitude and hope, I was all set for the 'spalicious' experience. The massage starts, as it did with me, with a face down prone position and ends face up in a supine position where the strokes are done anticlockwise. What’s the fuss about Rollerssage combines the deep relaxing feeling of Swedish massage with radiating heat to relieve tight muscles. The smoothness and heat from the beautiful semi-precious stones, which are taken from all around mother earth (we even get her blessings included!) give a euphoric sensation unique only to rollerssage. This therapy was ideated by Matthew Murdock, a professional therapist from Arizona’s top spas. My wellness abode had minimal interiors, ambient lighting and a completely relaxing off-white stone theme, I guess so as not to get me distracted. A guest can choose two of the four stones from Hematite for grounding and circulation. Tiger Eye, earthy and helpful for optimism and insight, Rose Quartz, the love stone that resolves hurt and anger and Sodalite for truthfulness and its benefits to the digestive system. I opted for Tiger Eye and Sodalite. After changing into a disposable undergarment, my body was massaged in a sequence of various strokes including small circular, short and long, side and gliding. As the tool holding the stones bond with the web of the therapists thumb, finger tips and palm of hand, I am in nirvana. No jokes, I actually dozed off for a few minutes. Stress, monotony, mental drain and anxiety seemed to have vanished into thin air. Oh! I also think that rollerssage is pretty interesting for the therapist too as stances, varying from horse, archer, grapevine, pivot and two step, which resembled a sashay, are incorporated in it. As I am gently brought back to reality, it is time for a steam bath followed by a shower. Dark chocolate, which is an excellent antioxidant, is a good way to end the therapy or so I thought. Mary brings me a souvenir in the form of the two stones that I had chosen during my therapy. I guess whenever I feel bogged down and the urge to rejuvenate takes over, those two stones will work their magic. Publish Link: http://clubm.in/?q=travel-lifestyle-spas/rollerssage-rolling-my-blues-away

No comments: